Sunday, July 29, 2012

Welcome to the Ravellenic Games!


Welcome to the Ravellenic Games, an international Ravelry-run knitting event that coincides with the Olympics!   The Ravellenics has many events, such as Shawl Sailing, Afghan Marathon, and Charity Rowing.  The event in which I will be participating is…..Sock Put!  This will be my first pair of real socks, and I’ll by using the Toe-Up, Two-At-A-Time on a Circular Needle method created by Melissa Morgan-Oakes.  Her book, named after her method, is extremely well written with and is designed for a beginner.  As a means of learning the method, I completed these Sample Socks (pattern in the book):


Unwearable, but adorable!


Now I’m ready to begin my full-size socks.  These are made with Cascade Yarns’ 220 Superwash sock yarn in the 1914 Baby Blue colorway.  So far, I’ve only knit this scrawny swatch, but it is an absolute joy to knit.  It’s smooth, soft, and slides easily on my favorite Addi needles.


I know, I know.  I should make a proper swatch, wash and dry it, and then measure my gauge.  I have, however, rationalized my shirking of this responsibility as a necessity due to the time constraint of the Ravellenics! : )

I’ll post again about my Sock Put progress as the Ravellenics continue.  What are you knitting this Olympic season?

No comments:

Post a Comment